31 Aralık 2012 Pazartesi

Making a Chalkboard Serving Tray

To contact us Click HERE
Our daughter, Jill and husband, Brad recently moved into a new home.Well, their home was built in 1917 making it a 95 year-old new home.She wants a serving tray for an ottoman she is using as a coffee table. I made a list of the materials I would need to make one as well as items for a framed chalkboard to display above a buffet Jamie painted for her as a housewarming gift.  John and I headed off to Lowe's.Next to Lowe's is an AC Moore and we ran in first.  I noticed unfinished framed mirrors in various sizes and thought they would be just right for these projects. With a 40%-off coupon and not needing to cut and build the frames, we happily bought a large one for the chalkboard and a smaller one for the serving tray.

FOR THE FRAME
  1. After removing the mirrors from the frames, I sanded the wood and painted each frame with two similar shades of silver acrylic craft paint, applying them at the same time to achieve the metal look I wanted.
  2. When the paint dried, I painted on a water-based satin varnish to seal. (I had Liquitex on hand) Then allowed it to dry
  3. I then brushed on black acrylic paint and rubbed off with a rag until I had a brushed metal look.
  4. I finished with a couple more coats of the satin varnish
FOR THE CHALKBOARD AND SERVING TRAY BOTTOM
  1.  I applied a coat of primer to the back of the mirrors and waited for it to dry
  2. Using a sponge roller, I gave the mirror back three coats of chalkboard paint waiting for each coat to dry before re-applying.
  3. John attached handles to the sides of the smaller frame for the serving tray.
  4. The painted mirror/chalkboard was then attached to the frame and reinforced with additional tacks to ensure it will hold the weight of whatever Jill might set on it.
  5. I finished by covering the back with brown paper using double-sided tape. The larger chalkboard was finished in the same manner but without the handles. A saw-tooth hanger was nailed to the back.

I am liking this chalkboard right here in my foyer and think I just might make one for me.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder