13 Mayıs 2012 Pazar

Think on These Things #13 ~ Mommy

To contact us Click HERE
To Print: Right click and save to your computer
On a recent morning I was thinking of my mom and glanced at my bookshelf with a photo of the two of us taken the last time we saw each other.  Then I noticed on a nearby coffee table, a photo of her holding me as an infant.A lifetime of years passed between these two photos.A mom's hug lasts long after she lets go.Author Unknown
Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.Author Unknown


While reading many posts from Kathleen's (Cuisine Kathleen) Mother's Day Challenge, I reluctantly decided to link up and share some things from my mom.  I didn't expect it, but this is a hard Mother's Day for me since it is the first one since Mommy's passing in August.

My mom grew up in very humble circumstances being one of eleven children.  Her mother died at age 44 leaving many little ones that the older kids raised. (Mommy was third oldest).  There weren't settings of china or crystal to pass down and these years were huge in developing Mommy's character.

 As I looked about thinking of Mommy and the things I have received from her, it seemed fitting to gather in a room that is most representative of her.  So, I collected items that belonged to her for a Mother's day brunch served on the bedroom set that belonged to her.
 Mommy wasn't about fussy ~ elaborate, yes, but not flowery.
She knew quality and well constructed things.  Her dishes for years were her well-loved Hull Brown Drip glazed.  They were heavy and dark and I liked little about them.  I often wondered how she could hoist a stack of then to put into the cabinet.  In contrast, she loved milk glass and collected some Westmoreland and Fenton pieces.  The white cups were only for display because she much preferred her coffee and tea in a hearty mug.
Mommy loved old fashioned home-style cooking.  She didn't much like making it herself but it warmed my heart always to see her enjoy meals I made for her and tell me I cooked just like her mom.
She never left home without her Sweet 'n Low even though she never had an ounce of fat on her small frame.
I fill my world with flowers and while Mommy admired them, please give her a green plant.  Even better, an artificial green plant that she could dust regularly and wouldn't die. 
She loved linens, doilies, rugs, place mats and well, mats of all sorts. (just ask any family member)Her favorite colors were beige, ecru, bone, off-white and brown.  If she was feeling really daring, she might throw in a little burnt orange or peach.
She also liked containers.
She was a perfectionist in everything she did and she expected it from others. She noticed hard work and valued it. She was sentimental and cherished a handmade gift especially one from a grandchild.Mommy was very organized and kept detailed journals with family history. Her home was filled with framed photos of those special to her.  Her photo albums were overflowing.This is the bedroom set she said would be mine.  It isn't the one she and Daddy used most of their life but was bought when they sold their lifetime home to move to a manageable apartment. Besides loving the style of this beautiful bedroom set, I think it really illustrates the personality of Mommy.
Though petite and small in stature, Mommy was strong and commanding.  She had a big personality with inner strength.  See those wrinkles in the Matelasse bedspread, they would not in exist Mommy's world.  She had so many covers on her mattress and boxspring and layers of bedding that I wondered how she could breath or move once inside .
And her windows wouldn't be covered with a simple a sheer panel.  Her windows were festooned with layer and layer of the most beautiful fabric draperies, most that she made herself.The height, size, quality and ornate style of each of these pieces of furniture really echo the same traits found in Mommy.She had a large presence and my heart is missing her.


And... looking with love from the generation before me to the generation after me...my babies~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~
Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of a good report - if there is any virtue and if there is any praise- think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8
~~Opening Think on These Things early this week so I can link up with Kathleen's Let's Dish Mother's Day Party
Has God impressed on your heart something special this week?
Was there a Scripture verse, a song, a quote, a poem or an encouraging word that came your way and caused you to pause.
I'd love for you to share.

Here's how:
Please link directly to your post, NOT your blog.
In order to link, you will need to leave a link back in your post to this 
Think on These Things
or you can include the
Think on These Things
button by copying and pasting the code below onto your post (while in html not compose)

 With a Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder